[CentOS] Faking RHEL with CentOS

Thu Oct 2 06:38:09 UTC 2008
Sorin@Gmail <sorin.srbu at gmail.com>

NiftyClusters T Mitchell wrote:

> If there are 10000 files it might look at 10000 different places
> including device names.... kernel names, shell features, kernel
> modules and more.
> i.e all the things that 'configure' might know about and more.

Yeah, that's my main worry.

> /etc/redhat-release is the most common.   N.B. You may need to restore
> the CentOS words often to permit CentOS updates to do the right thing.

I've been thinking about that too, ever since I did a yum update yesterday on
my test machine. I had the centos-line commented out and instead had a
rhel-line in there. AFAICT, the update went through fine, incl a kernel
update. But this might be a potential gotcha'.

> If /etc/redhat-release is not the answer you may have to look harder
> at the failing process with strace  or even SELinux tricks to see
> what it does look at.

Use SELinux tricks even if I don't have it installed? I'm not that familiar
with SELinux, except for knowing it's a security hardened something or other.

> If it is Oracle, Given the price of Oracle -- just purchase the RH
> product.
> It is common that the expensive packages are the most restrictive and
> putative.

Nah, not Oracle. We run Orcacle on Windows here. It's a constant pain for our
db-admin. Main concern are a handful of proprietary molecular building and
calculation suites. The *nix-group here uses computer aided drug design. There
are db's involved but they are installed and run from each software suite, w/o
involvement of Oracle or some such.