[CentOS] OT Mailing List Spam

Thu Oct 2 18:06:48 UTC 2008
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

vandaman2002-rt at yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> OT Mailing List Spam
>
> This might be slightly off-topic but as the source of spam is probably
> a spammer getting emails from this list, I reported him and his service
> provider should cut off his/her ugly head. I got an email of the classic
> 419 scam from a "El Amir ....

except, 99% of spam has forged FROM addresses, often an innocent address
randomly picked from the same lists being used to send the spam TOO.

95% of the spam is sent from hacked/infected servers acting as relays,
so complaining to the owner of the IP space the spam originated in
doesn't actually catch the real spammers either, although it may help
fix the hacked box, there's bazillions more.