[CentOS] Nightly yum update did an "upgrade"

Fri Oct 3 22:26:29 UTC 2008

Akemi Yagi wrote:
> This 'update vs upgrade' question is almost a FAQ.  It will be very
> helpful if you recite/describe the differences in this thread.  Then
> we can update the forum, too.

one of the commands has its behaviour changed depending on what the
configured value for an option is, the other works exactly the same
irrespective of what that value might be. To me, thats a massive
difference. Also value of that option has changed over the course of
yum's history on CentOS3/4/5, so you cant really force / expect everyone
to always only have the latest policy enforced. Specially for something
like yum, where site specific and machine specific configs are common
placed.