[CentOS] Re: Nightly yum update did an "upgrade"

Sat Oct 4 17:49:58 UTC 2008
Vandaman <vandaman2002-rt at yahoo.co.uk>

Johnny Hughes wrote:

> Now ... an upgrade from 4.5 or 4.6 to 4.7 should not have broken your
> machine either, so we need to figure out why it did.

The server CD contains 4.4 and if you use yum you should be able to
get to 4.7 without any problems. Its a different story if you have
packages from other repos that could potentially overwite base so
you end up with something else not CentOS.

Someone else has just posted his yum got broken by messing about
with other repos trying to upgrade php. It is likely python, sqlite
were all overwritten. As the CentOS wiki says if you break something
from 3rd/4th party repos you get to keep the pieces.

Regards,
Vandaman.