[CentOS] Re: Proposed New Mailing List

Sat Oct 4 18:59:52 UTC 2008
Jim Perrin <jperrin at gmail.com>

On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 7:25 PM, MHR <mhullrich at gmail.com> wrote:

> Where, oh where, is Jim when we need him?

Don't even think of trying to call me a voice of reason on this!

While I am usually a fan of organization, and I do try on irc to keep
things in their place, however in this case, I think another channel
is simply managing human behavior with a technical solution, and I'm
not generally a fan of doing that.

There is a tremendous amount of wisdom across a fairly broad spectrum
on this list, and most if not all folks on this list are members of
multiple other lists as well. I don't want to see the knowledge and
expertise in this channel diluted across other centos related venues
simply because a few folks don't like the noise level.

What I'd like to see is channel members asking detailed questions
showing thought, research, depth and manners with respect to sane
email clients and mailing list netiquette. I'd like to see well
thought out responses from experienced individuals showing both a
willingness to help, and an expert grasp of whatever topic is at hand.
I'd like to see the light email banter back and forth to keep the
channel light, but not enough to drive the low bandwidth users away.
I'd also like to see list members display some courtesy and not allow
the lighter threads to span 100's of posts, with replies to stop
replying.

In short, no I don't favor splitting up the list. I want sanity on the list.

Of course, I also want world peace and a pony. Just my $0.02.

George Orwell