[CentOS] Re: OT: C++ Newbie "Hello World" problem SOLVED

Wed Oct 8 07:03:40 UTC 2008
tech <tech at laamail.com>

 > Lanny Marcus wrote:
> I began with Assembly Language, Machine Language and Fortran.

This sounds like me (except for the Fortran bit). I even think that
COBOL is new fangled stuff. This "senior citizen" doesn't mind being
called a newbie.

I have made some progress but am still frustrated.

I took the suggestions made here. I put the CGI stuff in
var/www/cgi-bin/. I double checked my permissions and http.conf file but

I can run CGI routines mostly OK but I cannot set a cookie. I am using
one of the simple set cookie routines from the net. It does everything
but actually write the cookie. Other sites are storing cookies so I know
the browsers (IE and FF) accept them. I can run routines that print all
the ENV variables OK. I can use the random number function to set the
cookie value OK. Just no cookie.

The only error in the error log file comes from mod_mime_magic and seems
to be there even for routines that just read cookies.

I have other things not working such as installing the commerce cgi
shopping cart using the automatic install program they provide. I get
the first page OK but when I click on continue it just refreshes the
page. It should POST a form with a name that is tested for with an IF.
The new name should cause a jump to a subroutine that loads a new page.
The name is blank so the IF falls through and reloads the same page. The
browser knows that form data has been sent because a page refresh warns
me that the form data is stale and must be resent.

Where do I go next?