[CentOS] How to upgrade GNOME in CentOS?

Wed Oct 8 15:11:39 UTC 2008

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> Spike Turner wrote:
>>> Why not run another distro with the latest and greatest Gnome or Kde
>>> if that is what you want? Trying to upgrade a CentOS box will mean
>>> you have something else. Its doomed to failure
>>
>> fwiw, a garnome build normally works fine anywhere.
>
> I just got my head kicked in offlist by someone who tried this....

OUCH!

> so I want to elaborate a bit :

It is always the case of: "do you want 25 words or the answer"? Many of
us, in our area of expertise can get a little too quick and short with
answers, or just too much for the common person.

> while garnome builds do work fine, they work fine only for the stuff
> that you build with it, pretty much everything else you expect to work
> with some level of integration into the gnome environment will break,
> almost certainly. So dont expect for the entire 'distro' to stay
> 'together' post gnome-update.

And thus I stay with what is built for me.

Karanbir, Thanks for everything you do for all of us!