[CentOS] Re: tg3 ethernet card drops connection under heavy load

Thu Oct 9 17:03:49 UTC 2008
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

on 10-9-2008 6:27 AM Sean Carolan spake the following:
>> why don't you start with the kernel version and architecture?
>> -> uname -a
>
> This server is running centos 3.9
> Linux server.domain.com 2.4.21-57.ELsmp #1 SMP Wed May 7 06:10:55 EDT
> 2008 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
>
>> -> /var/log/messages relevant lines?
>
> There was nothing out of the ordinary in /var/log/messages.  The
> logging just stops after the network card drops offline.  dmesg also
> shows nothing out of the ordinary when the driver is loaded.  The
> network card works fine until it is under heavy load.
Since you are running CentOS 3 I am assuming this server has been in
production for some time. Did these symptoms just start?
Did you do any updates before this started happening?
Did you install this equipment, or did you assume admin duties from someone
else? Maybe it had the HP net driver installed, and a kernel update broke that.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and