[CentOS] Question about Mirrors

Fri Oct 10 15:39:24 UTC 2008
Bo Lynch <blynch at ameliaschools.com>

On Fri, October 10, 2008 11:39 am, Ned Slider wrote:
> Bo Lynch wrote:
>> I am trying to set up a local repo for my division. I tried to rsync 5.1
>> updates off the mirrors and recieved an error of no file or dir. After
>> going to the mirror, I notice that all of the 5.1 filder is empty and
>> there is a readme there that states.....
>> This directory (and version of CentOS) is depreciated.  For normal
>> users,
>> you should use /5/ and not /5.1/ in your path. Please see this FAQ
>> concerning the CentOS release scheme:
>>
>> http://www.centos.org/modules/smartfaq/faq.php?faqid=34
>>
>> If you know what you are doing, and absolutely want to remain at the 5.1
>> level, go to http://vault.centos.org/ for packages.
>>
>> So I just want to make sure that I'm understanding this correct. I
>> should
>> use the 5.1 original RPMS for my base OS and get my updates for 5.1 from
>> the 5 folder???? Just sounds weird. Should I do the same for my 5.0
>> release?
>> Thanks for you help.
>
> You *don't* run 5.0, 5.1 or 5.2, you run 5.
>
> The point releases (5.0, 5.1, 5.2 etc) are simply snapshots in time of
> the CentOS 5 product life cycle where development was temporarily frozen
> just long enough to spin a set of install media.
>
> You should always get updates from 5 which is a link to the current (and
> only supported) release. This happens to currently be 5.2. If you were
> to get updates directly against 5.2 then when 5.3 is released you would
> get no more updates to CentOS 5 ever. This is why you should *never*
> link updates against 5.x and always 5.
>
> Note: 5 and 5.0 are not the same thing.
>
> Hope that helps :)

Ned,
So you are saying that I should point my yum clients to the 5/updates/i386
folder for updates correct? No matter if they are 5 5.1 5.2? Not trying to
be redundant...Just want to make sure that I'm understanding this correct
before I actually give it a go.
So my pub folder would have centos/5.1/os/i386 which would have the
original 5.1 rpms and I would set the updates repo to point to the
centos/5/updates/i386 right?
So all I really need to rsync is the updates from the 5 folder on the mirror.