[CentOS] Mass installs of desktop systems on identical machines

Tue Oct 14 11:59:57 UTC 2008
Sorin Srbu <sorin.srbu at orgfarm.uu.se>

Niki Kovacs <> scribbled on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 1:44 PM:

>How
> would it *technically* be possible to replicate these installs as easily
> as possible?

G4u (Ghost for unix) is your solution. It's free.

Have a ftp-and dhcp server available on your network. Install one machine with
your preferred linux distro and tweak it as you want it. Boot from the g4u-cd
and ghost it to your ftp-server.

Boot from the g4u-cd on your next machine and dump the image from your
ftp-server to the new machine. Kudzu will take care of everything else. You
can do this with several machines at once. The nice thing with kudzu is that
your image will work even with a computer that does not have the same
hardware. Awesome is just scraping the surface.

I use this approach at our department. Works excellent.

HTH.

/S