[CentOS] Mass installs of desktop systems on identical machines

Tue Oct 14 16:26:51 UTC 2008
Sorin Srbu <sorin.srbu at orgfarm.uu.se>

Kai Schaetzl <> scribbled on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 4:31 PM:

>> Any particular reason why not, if I may ask?
>
> Because other distributions have better support for brand-new consumer
> hardware. Especially, if you consider the lifetime cycle of CentOS which
> spans to 2014. Look at this not from the viewpoint of your mom, but from
> the computershop that wants to sell lots of PCs to very different people
> (which will expect to see *recent* software) and with (over the years)
> quite differing hardware.

I see. Good point. However, brand-new hardware support would mean something
like the bleeding edge Fedora (any other distro?). The disadvantage IMHO with
eg Fedora is it's short life-cycle though. What is it, a year or so now?

FWIW, I've installed CentOS on pretty new stuff, like dual core-mobos with
SATA etc, Broadcom integrated and Intel Desktop Pro/1000 NICs and so on. Works
fine, so I still don't quite see why it'd not be suitable with settling on eg
CentOS, especially if it's set up properly from the beginning by the shop. Did
you maybe have some special hardware in mind?

Maybe I'm blinded by CentOS running fine on whatever I throw at it so far...

/S