[CentOS] Re: Mass installs of desktop systems on identical machines

Tue Oct 14 17:34:41 UTC 2008
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

on 10-14-2008 9:26 AM Sorin Srbu spake the following:
> Kai Schaetzl <> scribbled on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 4:31 PM:
>
>>> Any particular reason why not, if I may ask?
>> Because other distributions have better support for brand-new consumer
>> hardware. Especially, if you consider the lifetime cycle of CentOS which
>> spans to 2014. Look at this not from the viewpoint of your mom, but from
>> the computershop that wants to sell lots of PCs to very different people
>> (which will expect to see *recent* software) and with (over the years)
>> quite differing hardware.
>
> I see. Good point. However, brand-new hardware support would mean something
> like the bleeding edge Fedora (any other distro?). The disadvantage IMHO with
> eg Fedora is it's short life-cycle though. What is it, a year or so now?
>
> FWIW, I've installed CentOS on pretty new stuff, like dual core-mobos with
> SATA etc, Broadcom integrated and Intel Desktop Pro/1000 NICs and so on. Works
> fine, so I still don't quite see why it'd not be suitable with settling on eg
> CentOS, especially if it's set up properly from the beginning by the shop. Did
> you maybe have some special hardware in mind?
>
> Maybe I'm blinded by CentOS running fine on whatever I throw at it so far...
>
> /S
You just need to read this list to see people having hardware troubles, mostly
with SATA and/or network, but those are pretty important to a PC.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and