[CentOS] Seeking advice about auth/home serving

Wed Oct 15 12:59:14 UTC 2008
Toby Bluhm <tkb at alltechmedusa.com>

Laurent Wandrebeck wrote:
> 2008/10/15 Ian Forde <ian at duckland.org>:
>> Without knowing more specifics, you could always try using the /net
>> automount... as in: /net/servername/data
>>
>> It's ugly, and rarely used, but it works for small networks...
> OK, here are some more details:
> each /data is between 1 and 8 TB, network is gbps. Generally, we
> process data locally for efficiency/latency (processing often touches
> several tens or hundreds of GB) , but sometimes a box can be a bit
> overloaded, and we want to process data on another server, using nfs
> mounts. Our datacenter keeps growing, and mounting every /data on
> every box is becoming ugly. I'm willing to know if there's a cleaner
> solution.

Is there any way you would/could consider a centralized storage solution
like netapp or similar? Yes, it could be costly but you *are* currently
tossing back and forth up to 160 TB of data on discreet storage. Do you
do backups? Do you have 20 server boxes/towers? Or are you using
rackmount blade servers? HW raid cards? What size disks?

Sorry for all the prying questions - just that your computing situation
intrigues me. I'd understand your reluctance to give out this info.

--
tkb