[CentOS] new list proposal

Wed Oct 15 22:25:24 UTC 2008
Bill Campbell <centos at celestial.com>

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008, Frank Cox wrote:
>On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 22:52:44 +0100
>Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
>
>> And to better cater to these conversations, as well as further encourage
>> such content, we'd like to propose creating a 'centos-tech' list.
>
>Sounds like a whale of a plan.

Personally I prefer the more general lists rather than splitting
off into a bunch of more specific ones.  I often learn things by
reading messages that I would see on more targeted lists.  The
more general lists also seem more likely to engender a feeling of
community (the linux-sxs.org nee Caldera list is a case in point).

Perhaps my viewpoint is a bit skewed since I use an e-mail
program, mutt, that makes it very easy to see articles by thread,
and to delete everything in a thread with a single ctrl-D.  I
use Thunderbird on occassion to read messages where I know they
are likely to be HTML and have long links to click, but GUIs are
far too slow and cumbersome to deal with hundreds of messages a
day, particularly in my postmaster and security folders which may
go to thousands of messages in the morning.

Bill
Fax:            (206) 232-9186

A fake fortuneteller can be tolerated.  But an authentic soothsayer should
be shot on sight.  Cassandra did not get half the kicking around she deserved.
    -- R.A. Heinlein