[CentOS] Shipping CentOS as part of a solution

Sat Oct 18 02:44:28 UTC 2008
Nifty Cluster Mitch <niftycluster at niftyegg.com>

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 11:21:14AM +0200, Niki Kovacs wrote:

> Mark Maskery a écrit :
>>
>> We develop and sell a server based application as an appliance in
>> which, in general, the customer does not have direct access to the
>> operating system. My question is, are we allowed to use CentOS as the
>> underlying operating system and if so what license considerations are
>> there or what license information would we need to include for our
>> customers?
>
> Yes, you are allowed to do that. And if your business runs well,
> consider a donation to CentOS.

Review the GPL, BSD, X11 and other licenses as outlined on the CentOS
web site (see also Red Hat's web site).

You may need to make it very visible that there is CentOS under the hood.
You need to make available the source to the CentOS bits you
deliver to your customer including changes you make.

Your application need not be GPL as long as you are 100% the sole author.

Give special attention to "derived" work in the GPL.  If part of your application
is GPL then it may well all be GPL.

To simplify your package requirements collect all the CentOS iso images
and deliver them to your customer (both source and binary iso images).
Then add media for the changes you make to CentOS.  Lastly add separate
media for the application you are selling.

Lastly pay attention to updates and security fixes that you deliver from
CentOS or other repo.  If the customer does not download them then you
have some obligations....

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Found me a new hat, now what?