[CentOS] cannot start Mysql

Sun Oct 19 19:49:43 UTC 2008
William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com>

On Sun, 2008-10-19 at 20:25 +0100, Duncan wrote:
> William L. Maltby wrote:

> >> Yum install mysql-server
> >>

> > That makes me think OP did a yum install mysql instead of a yum group
> > install. Per the output in my previous post, default packages for the
> > *group* include mysql-server. If my assumption is correct, he'll
> > probably hit more stumbling blocks, depending on what he's doing
> > ultimately, as other parts of a default install will likely be missing
> > too. Might be better to unstall (that *ought* to be a valid word, huh?
> > Would save typing.  :-) and do a group install to get a good starting
> > point.
> >
> You might making it a lot more complicated than need be.

I'm hostage to my background!  :-(

> For most uses, just the mysql-server package (and any dependencies yum
> brings in) will be fine.

Since OP knows more about what he's going to be doing, maybe "yum info"
will save him some future aggravation. OTOH, no use making it too
complicated. He can just try and see what happens.

> (waits to be shot down by a very specific or complicated use from the OP
> that requires the group install..)

He-he! But yours would be only a "flesh wound". His might be more
severe.  ;-)

--
Bill