[CentOS] firefox is incredibly unstable

Mon Oct 20 04:13:11 UTC 2008
Ted Miller <tedjeanmiller at sbcglobal.net>

sbeam wrote:
> does anyone else have major probs with Firefox as installed on CentOS5?
>
> ever since the RPM for FF3 came out it has been crashing daily. Usually when I
> use Save As... or Browse... or anything else that brings up the Gnome file
> picker. After the crash I re-start then the file picker works for a while.
>
> Sometimes it just takes scrolling or click+drag an image or some other random
> action. BANG your'e dead. Very frustrating.
>
> Now today it is just crashing randomly, I am not even touching it. Maybe one
> of my plugins, I know.

I use KDE (which may change my results).  I was having problems with
Firefox crashing (exiting w/o warning) on most advertiser-supported pages.
  Page would start loading, then FF would just be gone.  FF worked great on
clean pages (like CentOS.org).

Tracked this back to the Flash player from Adobe.  Disabled it, and problem
went away.

Ted Miller