[CentOS] OT: Setting a CentOS to gateway a private IP address

Tue Oct 21 19:12:17 UTC 2008
nate <centos at linuxpowered.net>

James B. Byrne wrote:

>From any other host on 2xx.1xx.y7y.0/24 I cannot ping 192.168.219.102
>
> What setup steps on the CentOS host have I overlooked or what
> configuration errors have I committed?

Seems like your trying to route through the linux box? Have you
enabled ip forwarding and checked your iptables ruleset to make
sure that either the default policy is ACCEPT or that you have
specific rules in there that allow forwarding?

[root at dc1-rhel5-32build001:~]# cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
0
[root at dc1-rhel5-32build001:~]# iptables -L -n
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
[root at dc1-rhel5-32build001:~]#

In the above case ip forwarding is disabled and the default
policy is ACCEPT.

nate