[CentOS] Re: Replacement for Intel SDS2 Motherboard

Tue Oct 21 19:40:46 UTC 2008
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

Camron W. Fox wrote:
> John Plemons wrote:
>> What case form factor are you looking for, I may have a new IBM under
>> warranty that I can sell to you for what you are looking to spend...
>
>     Extended ATX.

Case formfactor is like tower, pedestal, 1U, 2U, ...

Extended ATX is a motherboard form factor.

you're going to need new motherboard, new ram, new CPUs...    you really
should be looking for new SERVER.   your existing 5+ year old 10 ATA
drives are likely only a few 100GB or so total, organized as at least 3
seperate raids ? (raids can't span controllers).

2 mirrored SATA drives at ~ $120 or so each for 1TB (1000GB) would way
surpass what you likely have now, and be way faster.
a modern low end 2U SATA server holds 6 or 8 of these in hotswap bays,
for $2000 or so fully configured wiith a pair of drives, and a low end
dualcore CPU (which will be 10x faster than your 5 year old P3's), AND
it will have a 2-3 year warranty if its from a major vendor.