[CentOS] Creating a controlled local repo

Thu Oct 23 09:57:52 UTC 2008
Sorin Srbu <sorin.srbu at orgfarm.uu.se>

Mogens Kjaer <> scribbled on Thursday, October 23, 2008 10:32 AM:

>> Therefore I've planned to create a local repo on one of our servers, share
>> /var/cache/yum, set keepcache to 1 on that server and have it reposync
>> periodically (like once a week) with CentOS Base, Extras, rpmforge and so
>> on.
>
> Why not make a "real" mirror using rsync, test new updates on a test
> test machine, and run "yum update" on the clients when the test
> machine is ok?

Ok, that's a point I guess. Although, I don't quite see why this is different
from the setup I mentioned though, could you elaborate a bit? What would the
advantage be with your suggestion?

Also, how can I let all the clients automatically update from the server, when
the updates have been okayed? Yum-nightly maybe?

> You could risk getting into trouble updating via a shared
> /var/cache/yum when CentOS 5.3, 5.4, etc. comes out.

I'd use repomanage to weed out old stuff, maybe with a cronjob, and only keep
the latest versions. Also, there's always some hub-bub on this list, so I can
preemtively disable the reposync, until the new version's been tested.

> Use nvidia-x11-drv from rpmforge to get updated nvidia drivers.

Are they any good? I inherited this linux-farm from the previous *nixadmin,
and the way it's setup assumes we use the proprietary drivers from nvidia, as
that's what the molecular modeling software company says'll work. We need the
fancy 3D-stuff and whatnot.

TIA.

/S