[CentOS] Help with custom udev rule

Fri Oct 24 02:18:40 UTC 2008
Filipe Brandenburger <filbranden at gmail.com>

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 21:28, Clint Dilks <clintd at scms.waikato.ac.nz> wrote:
> something like 10-local.rules  which contains
> KERNEL=="tun", NAME="net/%k", OWNER="root", GROUP="vboxusers", MODE="0660"
> But unfortunately when I reboot the permissions are still
> 0 crw------- 1 root root 10, 200 Oct 24 14:09 /dev/net/tun
>
> Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?  Or point me to some clear
> documentation about creating custom udev rules.

I'm not 100% sure of why this is happening, but I believe that the
rule to create /dev/net/tun in 50-udev.rules is overriding the one you
created. Did you try to create it as 99-local.rules? What about
creating a device with another name so that they do not conflict?

But in general I agree with you that udev is a little tricky and
documentation could be improved...

HTH,
Filipe