[CentOS] Re: Ole Fossils [ was Re: ls and rm: "argument list too long"]

Sat Oct 25 18:44:21 UTC 2008
William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com>

On Sat, 2008-10-25 at 10:30 -0700, Bill Campbell wrote:
> <snip>

> >It did the job too. It was several years before we upgraded to a S360/50
> >with 512K (IIRC).
>
> And our Burroughs B-3500 would run circles around the 360/50.
> The Burroughs had a whopping 200KB of memory, ran an average of
> 20 jobs in the mix, and didn't require 40 JCL cards to compile
> and run a one line Hello World FORTRAN program.
>
> Burroughs invented virtual memory in the early 60s in their large
> systems allowing them to run large programs in small memory.
> When IBM invented thrashing, called it virtual memory, the
> minimum memory requirements to run it was 1MB requiring major
> updgrades to support it.  IBM never wrote a line of code that
> was not designed to sell more hardware.
>
> Bringing this back to Linux, at that time IBM occupied the place
> of honor that Microsoft has now with an effective monopoly, a
> cumbersome and inefficient system requiring an army of support
> people to keep it running, and required constant patching.

Yep. I was very fortunate to have worked in that environment so long. It
gave me a very good living because I seemed to have a better than
average ability to handle all that stuff. I was one of those that
actually read the docs (IBM seemed to be very thorough about that) and
could recall/reference many months later the answers to some problem.

Even back then when folks bad-mouthed them, I didn't care. I made good
$$, the only criteria that mattered to me then.

--
Bill (the other one)