[CentOS] Simple audio recording app?

Sun Oct 26 20:59:56 UTC 2008
William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com>

On Sun, 2008-10-26 at 12:49 -0500, Lanny Marcus wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 8:21 AM, Niki Kovacs <contact at kikinovak.net> wrote:
> > I'd like to get my microphone to work (mainly to use it with Skype). I've
> > just been looking for a simple audio recording app, as I vaguely remember
> > having seen such a thing before, only I can't seem to find it anymore. I'm
> > using the default GNOME desktop with the latest CentOS 5.
> > Any suggestions?
>
> This is something I also need to spend more time to get working for
> Skype  on Linux. Works fine on MS Windows (Skype is the primary reason
> I am still using MS Windows) but not on Linux. My Sound Card is a
> cs46xx Cirrus Logic CS  4614/22/24 (Crystal Clear SoundFusion Audio
> Acc) and the driver is snd-cs46xx
>
> No intention of hijacking your thread, but I'm also using GNOME and
> fully up to date CentOS 5.2 (32 bit).  No audio output from the
> microphone....  Niki: I hope we can get this to work! Lanny

Well! I've not done this before on Linux, but I thought I'd seen some
stuff in the menu. I just set up and successfully recorded using krec.

I'm sure this is highly OT here. I'm willing to send snapshots of my
settings and discuss all through private mail. If someone thinks this
should be kept on the list, let me see a vote and approval of TPB. :-)

Until such time, e-mail me privately and I'll respond.

I'll have time until the Stock Market opens tomorrow. Then through the
rest of the day, sporadic availability.

My hardware is likely different, but a lot of commonality should exist
above the hardware level.

Synopsis: using krec, use the help menus. <ALT>-<F2> and enter "kcmshell
arts". Make sure full duplex is enabled in the hardware tab. Open other
desired things from the krec menu bar. I also opened the alsa mixer and
made sure all appropriate channels (both in playback and capture tabs)
are enabled. Ditto for the kmix opened from the krec app.

> <snip sig stuff>

I'm willing to try other apps too to help out. I have a skype account,
but have never tried it outside of M$ Windows yet.

So I can test with you from my Windows unit or set up skype on my CentOS
5.2 and test. Doesn't look like it'll be that difficult.

HTH
--
Bill