[CentOS] A few general questions

Wed Oct 29 16:32:58 UTC 2008
Lanny Marcus <lmmailinglists at gmail.com>

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 10:25 AM, kevin kempter
<kevin at kevinkempterllc.com> wrote:
<snip>
> The macbook is ok but it just doesn't cut it per productivity so I've
> ordered another laptop
> (a 64bit laptop with 8G of memory expandable to 16G and 2 internal 320G
> 7200rpm drives)
>
> I'll be loading Linux as soon as the machine arrives from Dell.

Kevin: I suggest you try the CentOS 5.2 Live CD on it, after you
receive the laptop. Then, you will know if CentOS is the distro for
that Laptop. CentOS is an Enterprise Distro and not well suited to the
latest HW, especially on a Laptop. If CentOS doesn't work on it, the
way you want it to, consider running Fedora or Ubuntu or something
else on it. The Live CD's make it very easy to check out how a Distro
will work on the HW you have.

> Here's my questions:
>
> 1) Are there any published plans for CentOS to support KDE4, or is there a
> way to upgrade CentOS to KDE4 ?

If you upgrade to something that is not supported by the distro, you
broke it and  you fix it.
<snip>
GL with the new Dell Laptop! Lanny