[CentOS] RHEL 5.3 Beta released, beta-testers needed

Wed Oct 29 19:47:25 UTC 2008
Dag Wieers <dag at centos.org>

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008, Michael Simpson wrote:

> On 10/29/08, Dag Wieers <dag at centos.org> wrote:

>>> I was really looking forward to testing this but when my download
>>> completes in 3 hours I might have forgotten about it completely.
>>>
>>> I'm too used to 10MB/s local mirror speeds :/
>>
>> Bringing down the barrier for people to test and report problems for RHEL
>> Betas is something we have to discuss together with Red Hat. I discussed
>> some of my wishes in an earlier blog post:
>>
>>    http://dag.wieers.com/blog/rhel-beta-test-sig
>>
>> but the dialogue has not taken place yet.
>>
>> I think this is one of those very profound win-win situations that we have
>> to take advantage of.
>
> As per the suggestion on Dag's blog i would be very happy to
> participate in any sort of beta for 5.3. I don't have a RHN
> subscription so my ability to get hold of the iso is limited but there
> are a couple of features in 5.3 that would be of use for my company's
> current projects
> - so much so that we may be delaying a proposed roll out for them

Ok, what may not have been obvious from my mail (and I will make sure I
fix that next announcement) is that anyone should be able to register on
RHN for downloading these Betas.

So you do not have to be a customer to get an RHN account.

> If there was to be any sort of CentOS based testing effort then i
> would like to throw my hat (and a dell 2950III) into the ring

Well, you could become part of this effort. I would like to create one or
more pages on the Wiki just for this purpose. We could allow people to
write down what they tested, on what hardware and the items that failed.
And in case they made any bugreports, we could link them on the same
wiki-page.

The aim obviously is to report as much to Red Hat as possible, but also to
record what problems others could verify in helping those reports. The
other aim is to make sure we have a good idea of what problems we can
expect in the upcoming CentOS 5.3 for the release notes.

I see some overlap with the current QA SIG, but since it is closed to the
wider community it does not make a lot of sense to try and merge these
initiatives. They are very much different in intent.

So welcome Derek :)