[CentOS] Re: Installer stopped short

Wed Oct 29 22:12:01 UTC 2008
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

on 10-29-2008 2:54 PM Niki Kovacs spake the following:
> Hi,
>
> I just tried to install a CentOS 5 desktop on very recent hardware, an
> Acer desktop machine. The installer stopped short very early. I gave
> Ubuntu 8.04 a shot, and it installed without a problem. Now what can I
> do about this?

1) Try the RHEL 5.3 Beta and see if it is any better. Report your findings to
the list.

2) See if the manufacturer has a driver disk for the hardware (not likely).

3) Use Ubuntu until 5.3 comes out, and see if it (CentOS) supports the
hardware later.

> Is there a way to use some "enhanced" kernel (like the centos.plus
> kernel) to perform the install? I guess what's missing there is a
> specific driver for something (SATA drive? Processor?).

There are some boot options to try, but you have a good chance that CentOS
won't support your hardware. There isn't any way to use a different installer
kernel without learning how to build install disks with Anaconda. It is not
the most difficult thing in the world to do, but it is not the easiest either.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and