[CentOS] changing partition priority on install

Thu Oct 30 00:54:27 UTC 2008
Monty Shinn <montys at videopost.com>

Phil Schaffner wrote:

<snip>
> A GRUB boot CD (or floppy) will allay the above concerns.  Do an "info
> grub" to find out how to create one.  Can also boot from install media
> to recover a lost GRUB.
>
>> I did not find an option during the install prep to re-locate grub to
>> the MBR of /dev/sdb.  I probably should try the text-based installer
>> to see if there are more options.
>
> It is there in the GUI installer - can't remember exactly where without
> going through the install, but something like an "Advanced" button on a
> configuration page toward the end of the process.
>
>> Heck, I may just remove the 9550 board until the initial os install is
>> completed.  That should accomplish what I am trying to achieve.  Just
>> seems like there should be a more elegant way of doing this.
>>
>> I am installing 5.1 because I have the isos on hand.  I was just going
>> to let yum update me to 5.2...
>
> That should work.
>
>> Thanks for your help,
>
> OK
>
> Phil

Phil,

Thanks for your input.  I did find the location of the grub install
modification.  Strange thing is, when I restarted the install, grub
defaulted to the MBR of /dev/sdb.  I did not change any hardware or bios
settings in between attempts.  I have no idea why the change happened.

Once the install was completed, the OS partition showed up as /dev/sda,
even though it showed up as /dev/sdb during the installation process.
Grub is apparently happily residing in the MBR of /dev/sda.  Again, I
can't explain it.

If you (or anyone else) has insights to this behaviour, or can point me
to where I can read up on it, I would appreciate it.

Thanks again for all your help.

Monty