[CentOS] Using CentOS repos in a RHEL machine

Thu Oct 30 16:58:02 UTC 2008
Matt Hyclak <hyclak at ohio.edu>

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 09:47:23AM -0700, MHR enlightened us:
> > The only limitation I have been able to see with RHEL's yum is the lack of
> > the priorities plugin. You can use protectbase as a replacement.
>
> Well, sort of - priorities is far more flexible, so protectbase is
> sort of a crippled replacement at best.
>
> But, at least it's there....

Agreed, but because of the way the rhn plugin works in yum, you can't assign
a priority to it. Apparently they've modified the plugin to set protect=1 on
RHN channels, so if you add other repos and don't want core system packages
replaced, set protect=0 and enable protectbase.

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak
Systems and Operations