[CentOS] Re: changing partition priority on install

Thu Oct 30 18:03:19 UTC 2008
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

on 10-29-2008 5:54 PM Monty Shinn spake the following:
> Phil Schaffner wrote:
>
> <snip>
>> A GRUB boot CD (or floppy) will allay the above concerns.  Do an "info
>> grub" to find out how to create one.  Can also boot from install media
>> to recover a lost GRUB.
>>
>>> I did not find an option during the install prep to re-locate grub to
>>> the MBR of /dev/sdb.  I probably should try the text-based installer
>>> to see if there are more options.
>>
>> It is there in the GUI installer - can't remember exactly where
>> without going through the install, but something like an "Advanced"
>> button on a configuration page toward the end of the process.
>>
>>> Heck, I may just remove the 9550 board until the initial os install
>>> is completed.  That should accomplish what I am trying to achieve.
>>> Just seems like there should be a more elegant way of doing this.
>>>
>>> I am installing 5.1 because I have the isos on hand.  I was just
>>> going to let yum update me to 5.2...
>>
>> That should work.
>>
>>> Thanks for your help,
>>
>> OK
>>
>> Phil

> Phil,
>
> Thanks for your input.  I did find the location of the grub install
> modification.  Strange thing is, when I restarted the install, grub
> defaulted to the MBR of /dev/sdb.  I did not change any hardware or bios
> settings in between attempts.  I have no idea why the change happened.
>
> Once the install was completed, the OS partition showed up as /dev/sda,
> even though it showed up as /dev/sdb during the installation process.
> Grub is apparently happily residing in the MBR of /dev/sda.  Again, I
> can't explain it.
>
> If you (or anyone else) has insights to this behaviour, or can point me
> to where I can read up on it, I would appreciate it.
>
> Thanks again for all your help.
>
> Monty
The only thing I can add is since you have 2 different families of 3ware
cards, one is using the 3w-9xxx driver and the other is using the 3w-xxxx
driver. Whichever driver that loads first will determine which card
initializes first.  First array gets /dev/sda. I think there are ways to force
a driver to load first, you have to adjust the alias scsi_hostadapter lines in
/etc/modprobe.conf in the order you want them to load like;

alias scsi_hostadapter 3w-xxxx
alias scsi_hostadapter1 3w-9xxx

and then make a new initrd.

Since yours seems ok now, this is for posterity.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and