[CentOS] Tired of Fedora, shopping for a new OS. Upgrade from F8 ? CentOS kernel versions ?

Thu Oct 30 22:20:36 UTC 2008
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 1:51 PM, Linuxguy123 <linuxguy123 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thus I am shopping for a new OS to solve this problem and the problem of
> continually being a beta tester if one is an up to date Fedora user.
> With Fedora it seems that one just gets a new installation working
> nicely when support for it is dropped and the cycle starts all over
> again.  I'd like to get away from that.
>
> So... questions.
>
> a) I am running F8 right now.   Most, but not all, of the package
> versions seem about the same as CentOS 5.2.   Kernels are the notable
> exception to this rule.  Could I forego F8 updates for a while, to leave
> CentOS catch up, and then add the CentOS repository to my repo list and
> "update" to the CentOS via yum ?

It would not work too well.  For stability you would be better
installing CentOS-5 as the glibc, etc in F-8 are much newer than EL-5.

> b) One of the things I really need are up to date (bleeding edge)
> kernels.  For example, F8 has 2.6.26 kernels, whereas CentOS appears to
> be running 2.6.18 kernels.  I do know how to build my own kernels, but
> that is a pain.

CentOS is a bug-for-bug rebuild of Red Hat Enterprise Linux. RHEL-5
will always be 2.6.18 so this does not look this would be a good
match. Using bleeding edge kernels on CentOS-5 are up to the user to
build and debug. Not sure how many applications you would have to
update to work with a bleeding edge kernel: udev, hal, dbus, etc would
all need updates and the programs relying on them would need
updates... recurse until you run out of packages.

> c) Is there any problem with using the livna repository for various
> things that I might need ?  I notice that they don't have a CentOS
> specific repository, but would it be OK to point to F8 or so and use
> those RPMs ?

No.. you would need to use EL-5 repository.

--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux