[CentOS] how to set term environment for cronjobs?

Wed Oct 1 13:37:54 UTC 2008
Rudi Ahlers <rudiahlers at gmail.com>

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 2:55 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 7:06 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Lynx wants to do cursor positioning which is fairly useless in
>>> non-interactive mode.  You can give it a terminal type on the command
>>> line
>>> with the -term= option, but it would probably be better to use wget
>>> instead
>>> for non-interactive work.
>>>

>> wget downloads the whole page every time, which wastes bandwidth & HDD
>> space. Apart from using the "> /dev/null" option, is there any other
>> way to use it?
>
> Lynx is going to send the page to stdout, which cron will collect and email
> to you unless you have redirected to /dev/null also, so I don't see a big
> difference there.  For static pages wget can use -N to only get copies after
> they change, and the -O option to control where it goes, which could be
> /dev/null if you really never want to see it.
>
>> And with lynx, do I just issue lynx -term=vt100
>> http://billing/admin/cron.php ?
>
> Yes, but I'd recommend doing 'man lynx', 'man wget', and 'man curl' so you
> understand the options and features of each.
>
> --
>  Les Mikesell
>   lesmikesell at gmail.com

I got lynx to work with the --dump option, and now the errors are
gone, and the cronjob works well. wget downloaded the whole website
which was like 23MB everytime, whereas lynx gave me the output, which
is more usable for trouble shooting the cronjob.

Thanx for all your help

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers