[CentOS] Help me

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Mon Sep 1 04:16:18 UTC 2008

On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 04:05:37 +0000
russ at vshift.com wrote:

> Food for thought, I guess.

Not really.

Top posting is generally used in direct business or personal correspondence.  I
send you a message, you put your reply on top of that and send it back to me.
The theory is that you and I already know what we're talking about.

In newsgroup and mailing list postings, on the other hand, the convention is to
put your reply at the bottom or in-line with the original message (and the
original message is ideally trimmed to the minimum required to keep the flow
of the "conversation" going. The idea here is that posts are intended to be read
and comprehended by people other than the ones who are directly involved in the
exchange. Accordingly, it makes the most sense to create a message that can be
read from the top to the bottom  in chronological order.