[CentOS] I need help with GRUB

Sadaruwan Samaraweera slinuxworld at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 05:36:19 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 4:14 AM, Al Sparks <data345 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > mine.
> >
> > [lanny at dell2400 ~]$ sudo cat /etc/grub.conf
> > Password:
> > # grub.conf generated by anaconda
> > #
> > # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making
> > changes to this file
> > # NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
> > #          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to
> > /boot/, eg.
> > #          root (hd0,2)
> > #          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro
> > root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
> > #          initrd /initrd-version.img
> > #boot=/dev/hda
> > default=0
> > timeout=5
> > splashimage=(hd0,2)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> > hiddenmenu
> > title CentOS (2.6.18-92.1.10.el5)
> >         root (hd0,2)
> >         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-92.1.10.el5 ro
> > root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet
> >         initrd /initrd-2.6.18-92.1.10.el5.img acpi=off
> > title CentOS (2.6.18-92.1.6.el5)
> >         root (hd0,2)
> >         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-92.1.6.el5 ro
> > root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet
> >         initrd /initrd-2.6.18-92.1.6.el5.img acpi=off
> > title CentOS (2.6.18-92.1.1.el5)
> >         root (hd0,2)
> >         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-92.1.1.el5 ro
> > root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet
> >         initrd /initrd-2.6.18-92.1.1.el5.img acpi=off
> > title Windows XP
> > rootnoverify (hd0,0)
> > chainloader +1
> > [lanny at dell2400 ~]$
>

> It's handy that someone posted their grub file.
>
> The answer to your question/situation might be complicated by the fact that
> you use you have been changing your boot up disk in your BIOS.
>
> But the thing to look for in your grub.conf file is:
>
> > title CentOS (2.6.18-92.1.1.el5)
> >         root (hd0,2)
> >         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-92.1.1.el5 ro
>
> Note that this example includes an entry for a hard drive:
>
> >         root (hd0,2)
>
> That entry points to the "first" hard drive, third partition.  If you
> have 2 hard drives, and you wanted to boot off the "second" drive
> first partition, you might use:
>        root (hd1,0)
>
> You basically want to look at the grub configuration for each OS on
> each hard drive you installed it on, and in consolidating them, "cut
> and paste" entries from what you want to be your secondary drive to
> your primary boot drive.
>
> Again, this is only using the above grub.conf as an example.  If you
> have SCSI hard drives instead then probably the grub.conf will show
> something like:
>       root (sd0,2)
>
> So it's important to look at your grub.conf and make modifications.
>
> Hope this helps.  If you want more specific advice, then post BOTH
> grub.conf files, and tell us which one will be from what you want to
> be your secondary drive, and what you want to be your primary drive

Sadaruwan Samaraweera

Hi,

       Thank you very much for responding for my plea for help and after
some painful hours of search and going through some forums I got what I want
and it's working now here is my grub.conf on the SATA drive which I wanted
to be my primary booting drive.

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
#          root (hd0,6)
#          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/VL1/LogVol00
#          initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/sda
default=0
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,6)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title CentOS (2.6.18-92.1.10.el5)
    root (hd0,6)
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-92.1.10.el5 ro root=/dev/VL1/LogVol00 rhgb quiet
    initrd /initrd-2.6.18-92.1.10.el5.img
title CentOS (2.6.18-92.el5)
    root (hd0,6)
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-92.el5 ro root=/dev/VL1/LogVol00 rhgb quiet
    initr /initrd-2.6.18-92.el5.img
title Ubuntu
        rootnoverify (hd1,0)
        chainloader +1
title WindowsXP SP2
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1

If there's anything wrong with this please let me know.

Regards
Sadaruwan Samaraweera