[CentOS] kickstart problems

Paolo Supino paolo.supino at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 06:40:23 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 8:14 AM, nate <centos at linuxpowered.net> wrote:

> Paolo Supino wrote:
> > Hi Nate
> >

> > 3: After the error comes up I get the HTTP setup configuration screen
> with
> > the source website (in IP) and CentOS directory as I entered them in the
> > pxeconfiguration file and as it appears in the kickstart configuration
> file
> > and all I have to do is press the 'OK' button to continue the
> installation
> > to a successful completion.
>
> If that's the case the next most likely culprit is
>
> > url --url http://192.168.11.1/source
>

> Just because the PXE boot loader can download the kickstart
> config does not mean that the installation process will work
> with that NIC.
>
> Also I've had lots of broadcom systems not work with kickstart over
> the years, it's not uncommon for newer systems to have newer
> revs of the chipsets and those revs not being supported by the
> installer.
>
> But it sounds like in your case it does work, so I would look
> at the url above, as it likely is the cause of the problem. Check
> the http access logs on the server for 404s and similar errors.
>
> nate

Hi Nate

  I found the problem and it was easier than expected ...
The problem seems to be that anaconda has a problem with having a network
card statically configured :-( All I had to do is change the bootproto for
eth0 from 'static' to 'DHCP'. Now it successfully retrieves 'stage2.img'
file from the web server and completes the installation with zero
intervention. For the time being this will do, but I'd rather the clients
have everything configured locally once when installing than accessing the
network for any information they need (this configuration is for a HPC
cluster and every network access decreases performance).

--
TIA
Paolo