[CentOS] Backup and reinstall a CentOS server

Sergej Kandyla sk.paix at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 12:04:45 UTC 2008

Marco Fretz wrote:
> If you want to copy the whole server, use cpio. We use this to convert
> phys servers to virtual.
>
> find / | cpio -o -Hnewc | ssh -c blowfish <remote server> "cpio -u -i -m
> -d -Hnewc"

Also you could use dump\restore utilites

mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt/hdb1
cd /mnt/hdb1
dump -0uan -f - /boot  | restore -r -f -

http://linuxscrew.com/2007/08/13/move-linux-to-another-hard-drive-dump-restore-backup/

>> - Any suggestions on BIND to log queries without SELINUX throwing a fuss?

You could use dns logining.
some example from one of my servers:

options {
};

logging {
         channel default_log {
                file "/var/log/named.log" size 50000k;
                severity info;
                print-time yes;
                print-category yes;
                print-severity yes;
         };
         channel more_log {
                file "/var/log/named_extend.log" size 20000k;
                severity info;
                print-time yes;
                print-category yes;
                print-severity yes;