[CentOS] kickstart problems

Paolo Supino paolo.supino at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 15:14:42 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 5:04 PM, nate <centos at linuxpowered.net> wrote:

> Paolo Supino wrote:
>
> >   I boot via NIC0 and my configurations are as follows:
> > pxe (for node3):
>
> Just to rule it out try plugging in all NICs to the same
> switch/VLAN and kickstart again and see if it works better.
> Sometimes the NIC detected as eth0 at PXE time is not the
> same NIC as at installation time. My systems typically have
> both NICs connected to the same switch(for redundancy using
> bonding driver) so I often forget about this issue.
>
> If it works then you can adjust the kickstart config's
> ksdevice= option to point to the real NIC your system
> will use.
>
> nate

Hi Nate

  It's a nice thing and I thought of doing it, but it's impractical and here
is why: I have 42 systems in this cabinet. Each system as 4 NICs and I only
have 1 48 port switch. If I had the additional switches to stack I would
have done it a long time ago (and I would have sniffed the network to see
where the heck it sending the packets). I checked all the systems that did
install successfully (right now stands at 29) and in all of them the MAC
address of NIC0 matches the MAC address for eth0 in Linux (which makes sense
otherwise the install would have hung up).

--
TIA
Paolo