[CentOS] Re: Curmudgeoning (was Re: Problems with writing Dual Layer DVD)

Bill Campbell centos at celestial.com
Tue Sep 2 22:12:13 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 02, 2008, William L. Maltby wrote:

>On Tue, 2008-09-02 at 12:26 -0700, Scott Silva wrote:
>> <snip>
>>
>> > Can't argue with you :-)  It does seem likely, as 1GB flash drives wouldn't
>> > have been a possibility at that time.  I never owned one at all until
>> > relatively recently.
>> >
>> I remember when 1 GB *hard* drives didn't exist!
>
>I swear, I'll never use a word like "curmudgeon" again! Sheesh!
>
>Anyway, 5 and 10 MB HDs were the common PC drives back in the 80s and
>90s. 20MB was a *big* one. Seek (average) of > 60ms was usual and fast
>ones were less than that.

The first HDs that Radio Shack sold for their Model 16s were 8in
8MB units and the primary HD which came with the disk controller
sold for about $4,500.00.  This was replaced with 5.25in 12MB
drives in January 1983 at the same price, about the same time
that the Model 16s were replaced by the Model 6000s (I learned
Xenix on these boxes).  If I remember correctly, Xenix came on 3
8in 1.2MB floppies plus another for the Development System which
had things like the ``vi'' editor and *roff text processing tools.

The Apple Lisa came with a 5MB drive, and also ran Xenix,
although I never could figure out where they would put any data.

The Kaypro-10 was a real bargain in 1984 or so, selling for
$2,500 including a hard drive, around 10MB if I remember.  It ran
only CP/M, but was a reasonable alternative to the IBM PC then.

Bill
Fax:            (206) 232-9186

People who relieve others of their money with guns are called robbers. It
does not alter the immorality of the act when the income transfer is
carried out by government.