[CentOS] USB flash drive and VMs (Was Curmudgeoning)

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 3 16:09:50 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 03 September 2008 16:41:18 David G. Miller wrote:
> Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > Can't argue with you  :-)   It does seem likely, as 1GB flash drives
> > wouldn't have been a possibility at that time.  I never owned one at all
> > until relatively recently.

> > Fair enough.  Out of curiosity - do they work in W2K out of the box, or
> > require some update?  I ask because I'm considering W2K as a
> > VM.
> >
> > Anne
>
> Flash support under qemu seems to be about the same as CD-ROM support.
> That is, you can access a device present at start up but it's not
> swappable.  Given:
>
> [dave at bend ~]# lsusb
> Bus 001 Device 002: ID 154b:0005 PNY
> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
>
> you can attach the device to a W2K qemu session by starting qemu with
> something like:
>
> qemu -usb -usbdevice tablet -hda w2k.img -usbdevice host:001.002 -m 256
> -localtime &
>
> I tried swapping two different 1GB thumb drives and the content of the
> drive wasn't visible after the swap.
>
> If you decide to go the qemu route for a VM with W2K, I wrote about the
> problems I ran into on my blog at:
>
> http://davenjudy.org/wordpress/?p=29
>
> Getting a basic W2K VM working was fairly easy but getting it fully
> updated was a real pain.  I still have a couple of MS updates that I
> can't apply since W2K stops working if I do.

Thanks Dave.  I'm pushed for time just at the moment, but I do hope to try
something like this in a few days.  If I go for qemu I'll use your notes for
guidance.

I don't think I'd bother updating W2K.  I don't intend doing any work other
than the embroidery machine software, so it shouldn't be vulnerable to
Internet nasties.

Anne