[CentOS] OT: Home NAS device

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 17:35:15 UTC 2008

Joseph L. Casale wrote:
>> The Dlink DNS-323 looks exactly what you are asking of
>
> What a procedure to hack that thing!
>
>>> The problem I see with going the all-in-one NAS route is that down the
>>> road, there's always some function you'd like to add - but you can't.
>>> You've hit the limitations of the box.
>
> That's why I want to put straight Linux on it:)
>
> As fun as hacking that thing would be, I might just buy one of the tiny
> boards, but for the price if I brick the DNS-323 it would still be fun
> and I wouldn't really care!

The most demanding operation you'd want such a server to do is probably
feeding video/media files to a DLNA client like an xbox360 or PS3 which
sometimes involves transcoding the content.  You'd probably get the most
specific advice about device capabilities on the forums for those
programs (mediatomb, for example, which runs on a lot of the small
network hard drives).

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com