[CentOS] bonding theory question

Mag Gam

magawake at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 15:57:47 UTC 2008

Hello All,

I am currently using bonding with 2 NICs (using mode 0). Its been
working well, but I am trying to understand how it works (I am a total
newbie).

mode=0 (balance-rr)
Round-robin policy: Transmit packets in sequential order from the
first available slave through the last. This mode provides load
balancing and fault tolerance.

So I have 2 NICs (1 NIC attached to switch A, 2nd NIC attached to switch B).

I have 1 virtual interface. bon0.

Suppose data is being pushed out, it will go with 1st NIC and when it
gets overloaded it will use 2nd NIC. The bonding driver will be
responsible for it.

Similar to the push, the pull will be very similar. The data gets
pulled and the bonding driver will assemble the packets together? Does
this sound right?

Sorry for a newbie question...

TIA