[CentOS] DJB's daemontools package

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 17:05:54 UTC 2008

Al Sparks wrote:
> There was a lot of rudeness and snarkyness on that list.  They
> aren't kind to those they consider fools.
> DJB has his acolytes, much like Linus Torvalds does.  I suspect that
> DJB's personality reflects the overall tone of DJB related online
> communities, much like Torvalds's personality affects groups like
> this.  I have to say, DJB's software offerings are top rate.

Qmail??? That thing that would accept all messages from a dictionary
attack and try to return bounce messages to each even if they all had
the same undeliverable address?  I ran that for a short time because it
was included in a distribution and besides blocking the outbound queue
with the bogus bounces, accepting those messages must have gotten them
on some widely-sold list for spamming.  Even after replacing the mailer
with something that quickly rejected invalid local addresses, I kept
getting about 50,000 spam attempts a day for years to those addresses.

And wasn't bright enough to send group messages to the same host
destination as a single copy with multiple addresses, even back in the
days when bandwidth was expensive and hard to get.

I don't see why anyone ever put up with it, especially when the license
prohibited distributing copies that fixed the obvious flaws.

   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com