[CentOS] OT: Migration from Evolution to Thunderbird (Thunderbird mbox files)

Sat Sep 6 20:46:12 UTC 2008

On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 11:03 PM, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-09-05 at 22:28 -0500, Lanny Marcus wrote:
>> Craig White wrote:
>> <snip>
>> > ----
>> > /usr/libexec/evolution/2.8/evolution-addressbook-export
>>
>> Craig: Cool. I just  posted that I found a way around it (exporting .vcf
>> and then using a converter on the web to .ldif and .csv formats) but you
>> are correct, I did find evolution-addressbook-export
>> in /usr/libexec/evolution/2.12/
>> It wasn't where I was looking for it, from the post I'd read. Had I not
>> found a way around it, you would have saved the day.... Thanks!  Lanny
> ----
> you must be using CentOS-4 and that version of Evolution is really,
> really old.
>
> I'm not sure that ancient version of evolution-addressbook-export can
> export directly to csv but if so, that would be more usable for
> importing into thunderbird.

No. This is CentOS 5.2 (32 bit) and fully updated. I noticed last
night that you have Evolution 2.8.

[lanny at dell2400 ~]$ uname -a
Linux dell2400.homelan 2.6.18-92.1.10.el5 #1 SMP Tue Aug 5 07:41:53
EDT 2008 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

I did the migration from Evolution to Thunderbird, for my main email
account today and and am up and running.   :-) I imported the contacts
as .ldif and it worked very well.   :-)   I suspect much better than
if I had imported the contacts as .csv