[CentOS] Problem with running Centos 5.2 on Dell Optiplex 330

NiftyClusters Mitch niftycluster at niftyegg.com
Sun Sep 7 18:36:04 UTC 2008

On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 7:29 AM, nate <centos at linuxpowered.net> wrote:
> Pete Kay wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am havind deep trouble with a bunch of our newly arrived Optiplex
>> 330 as it can't run Centos 5.2 property.

>> Does anyone know how I can fix this problem?
>
> It's quite possible the network driver isn't compatible with
> the system. Looking at the support site for Dell that system
> isn't supported with Linux, and it looks like it has a pretty
> new broadcom chip on it.
>
> I'd bet that updating the driver will allow the NIC to work,
> the latest drivers for that system are available.....

The quick and handy way to do this is to pick up an inexpensive USB
ethernet link or other ether net card.   After a yum update to a new
kernel you may well have a driver that works.

If a yum update does not update the driver, you have enough
connectivity to download then install vendor bits and tools.

This is the trick I have used for a number of early access Intel
'engineering' boxes.
It lets me kickstart to a lab configuration and connect long enough to
add the updated driver.  I can save all the fun new bits and script up
the driver update into a single dir to copy from one to the next.
Then burn that dir of bits to a CDROM...

If you are shopping, the older the USB ethernet device the more likely
it is to work.

--
 NiftyCluster
 T o m M i t c h e l l