[CentOS] Re: USB drive fails at sector 0xFFFFFFF

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Mon Sep 8 19:12:35 UTC 2008

>> More than likely it is a problem with the Linux reverse engineered
>> support for a Windows proprietary file system. Why back up to NTFS?
> Originally I was backing up across the LAN to the drive attached to my
> XP workstation.
That would isolate the error if it was caused by the NTFS driver. I would use
a linux supported filesystem unless you *need* to be able to look at these
dump files from a windows workstation. Also see if the Manu. has a test
program to verify the drives.
Sometimes a few of the PATA to USB interfaces do some strange things to I/O
streams. I have a drive that would consistently lock my old XP workstations
USB interfaces, but works fine on the new one.

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and
you notice quickly if they don't!!!!