[CentOS] Re: Centos 4.7 delay more than mirror issue?

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Wed Sep 10 20:34:20 UTC 2008

on 9-10-2008 1:02 AM Josh Donovan spake the following:
> Hi folks,
>
> Normally people ask "when is CentOS 4.7 coming" and they are told "when it is ready". Dag posted on his blog about it going to testing in July while it
>  was supposed to be syncing to the mirrors on Sept 5/6th according to
> Karanbir.
>
> Is there something going on behind the scenes? I have not seen Johnny Hughes
>  or even Dag posting on this list for some time. CentOS has gone for some time while other rebuilds folded so I wouldn't like it to follow the same way.
>
> Thanks,
> Josh

AFAIR the mirrors get syncs of the rpms and such, but not the meta data for
yum. That way more mirrors can catch up without immediately getting hammered
with downloads. When enough mirrors are synced, the meta data either goes out
or is created and the announcement is usually made. The meta data syncs fairly
fast.

So mirrors could be catching up right now, but a yum update wouldn't tell you
anything.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and