[CentOS] Java install

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Thu Sep 11 16:16:14 UTC 2008

Ric Moore wrote:
> While using Fedora, I always used java straight from Sun. What is
> recommended for CentOS?? Getting jetty, java and other java apps working
> correctly has been a real chore. If I used nothing but RPMs for CEntOS,
> would I have a real working java install? I need some help on this one
> badly. Ric

Get it from Sun for now. I think Java 7 is the one that's supposed to
be fully GPL, Java 6 still has some incompatible bits that Sun is
re-writing(last I read).

You can get java alternatives like gcj with CentOS, though their
usefulness is somewhat limited.

nate

(and to answer your other email you sent me off-list while I'm here,
no not the same nate, I've never worked at Red Hat)