[CentOS] Re: Standby Issue

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Fri Sep 12 21:50:46 UTC 2008

on 9-12-2008 9:58 AM Test spake the following:
> Hi List,
> I'm running Centos 5.2 on an Pentium III-1000
> The box has been running for almost a year without any (hardware) issues.
> SInce a few weeks the box goes into standby (power led flashes) without
> any obvious reason (ie. i cannot find anything). This happens randomly
> (box runs for 1 day and does this, next time it runs for 5 days and it
> happens).
> Normally when a box goes into standby, you should be able to start it
> again pressing the power button, but this does not work. I have to
> completely unplug it and then it boots up again (after plugging it in
> again ;-))
> I thought it was due to a kernel upgrade from 2.6.18-92.1.6 to 2.6.18-92.1.10,
> but after a downgrade the same issue occurred
> I have checked about all settings (loaded modules, logfiles, bios etc.)
> I have stopped the acpid, still no go...
> cpuspeed is not running...
> Bios has got all powermanagement stuff disable..
> So basically i am looking for some hints on solving this...
> Anyone...?
CPU fans starting to die. Overheating. Old age. Electrical problems.
I had an old server that actually had a mouse crawl into it and die. Couldn't
find an opening I thought it could get into, and even suspected foul play.
(not on the mouses death, but on its placement in the case)

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and
you notice quickly if they don't!!!!