[CentOS] Re: Standby Issue

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Fri Sep 12 21:50:46 UTC 2008

on 9-12-2008 9:58 AM Test spake the following:
> Hi List,
>
> I'm running Centos 5.2 on an Pentium III-1000
>
> The box has been running for almost a year without any (hardware) issues.
>
> SInce a few weeks the box goes into standby (power led flashes) without
> any obvious reason (ie. i cannot find anything). This happens randomly
> (box runs for 1 day and does this, next time it runs for 5 days and it
> happens).
> Normally when a box goes into standby, you should be able to start it
> again pressing the power button, but this does not work. I have to
> completely unplug it and then it boots up again (after plugging it in
> again ;-))
>
> I thought it was due to a kernel upgrade from 2.6.18-92.1.6 to 2.6.18-92.1.10,
> but after a downgrade the same issue occurred
>
> I have checked about all settings (loaded modules, logfiles, bios etc.)
> I have stopped the acpid, still no go...
> cpuspeed is not running...
> Bios has got all powermanagement stuff disable..
>
> So basically i am looking for some hints on solving this...
>
> Anyone...?

CPU fans starting to die. Overheating. Old age. Electrical problems.
I had an old server that actually had a mouse crawl into it and die. Couldn't
find an opening I thought it could get into, and even suspected foul play.
(not on the mouses death, but on its placement in the case)

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and