[CentOS] Screen capture during install

Bill Campbell centos at celestial.com
Fri Sep 12 23:03:33 UTC 2008

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008, Bob Hoffman wrote:

>Good evening.
>
>I see all these neat how-tos online with nice pictures of the install and
>all.
>I am new to using linux on a computer I own.
>
>I want to document the next server I build, each step.
>
>How do you do a screen capture on a system you are doing a fresh install on?
>KVM connected to the unit?

The first time I did this I had a camera on a tripod behind the screen with
a remote to the camera.  Shutter priority with about a 2 second exposure is
necessary to get complete screen captures.

I have done it more recently using vnc to handle the install on another
machine on the network, grabbing each screen using whatever that machine
has available.  I find vnc installs helpful in any case as it makes it easy
to monitor the installation without having to look at the hardware which
may be in another room.

Bill
Fax:            (206) 232-9186

Now if there is one thing that we do worse than any other nation, it is
try and manage somebody else's affairs.
    Will Rogers