[CentOS] Changing hostname?

Niki Kovacs

contact at kikinovak.net
Sat Sep 13 06:06:46 UTC 2008

Hi,

I recently made a CentOS install on a machine with an unsupported
network card. I had to add the driver for it later, once I finished the
install. For now I have this:

[kikinovak at localhost ~]$ hostname --fqdn
localhost.localdomain

Q: how would I change this to something like calimero.local?

Here's what I *would* do, but I prefer to ask before.

1) edit /etc/sysconfig/network and edit this line:

HOSTNAME=calimero.local

2) add a line to /etc/hosts like this:

127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost
127.0.0.1	calimero.local		calimero
::1     localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

cheers,

Niki Kovacs