[CentOS] Changing hostname?

RobertH roberth at abbacomm.net
Sat Sep 13 17:07:43 UTC 2008

> John R Pierce wrote:
> indeed, having the hostname bound to the loopback interface seems to
> break a bunch of our java stuff too.    first thing we've always had to
> do after a CentOS/RHEL install is change /etc/hosts, and put the
> hostname on its own line with the static IP, or leave it out entirely.

John,

Hit that nail on the head and exactly what I was describing.

Thing is, why does upstream and/or other distros do that?

What is the reasoning?

We should understand it if there is such a thing yet it appears many of us
change it regardless.

I do know a several people that are not aware of it when they do installs...
and I have to remind or fix.

 - rh